建筑与结构Military and Sacred biomes are mostly covered in this material. Also somewhere in the ruins there's a labyrinth, filled with Dangling Depth Dwellers, Ornate Chests and dead ends. At the center of this labyrinth resides the Ancient Guardian, who most players will challenge to get its rare Horn.
Unlike Caves, surface plants like Evergreens, Saplings, Berry Bushes, Spiky Bushes, and Flowers are not found in Ruins, although the player can still plant these items. Plants will regenerate after a few days of being harvested (except for trees). The only plants that can be found naturally in the ruins are Light Flowers, Cave Banana Trees, and Ferns. Lichen is also exclusive to the ruins. Blue Mushrooms can be found here as well, usually in copious amounts.
Objects found in the Ruins include Relics, Ancient Statues, Nightmare Lights and the Ancient Pseudoscience Station. Relics can be attacked and destroyed for various loot while Ancient Statues can be mined to yield Thulecite and various Gems. Nightmare Lights can emit light and spawn Shadow Creatures depending on the Nightmare Cycle, while the Ancient Station will be used to craft some of the best items in the game, found in the Ancient Tab. Also in the wilds, there are Splumonkey Pods and special Ponds. The ponds can be fished in to get Eels.
In Don't Starve Together the ruins were moved to the same level as the Caves. This was done to avoid the necessity of a third dedicated server to hold it on. There are also several new ways for entities to spawn.
In A New Reign the Atrium Biome was introduced. The Atrium Biome is completely separated from the main land so it is only accessible by killing a Big Tentacle and jumping into the Tentacle Pillar Hole. Once the player makes it to the Atrium Biome they must pass the Obelisks which will be in a closed state unless the player has more than 15% Sanity. Players must be careful to never drop below 15% Sanity otherwise they will be trapped on the island.
The Atrium Biome contains the Ancient Gateway which can have an Ancient Key placed in its socket, making the Atrium's Nightmare Cycle be locked at the peak state. The Ancient Key can be removed again, unlocking the Cycle from its peak. If a fully-constructed Odd Skeleton is revived near an activated Ancient Gateway, the fight against the Ancient Fuelweaver will begin. The Ancient Fuelweaver can deactivate the Atrium's Nightmare Cycle by removing the Ancient Key. If the Ancient Fuelweaver is killed it will trigger an explosion that will activate after three minutes, renewing the Ruins. Twenty days later, the Gateway will accept the Ancient Key to be placed again.
- The Ruins were introduced in The Stuff of Nightmares update.
- Since the release of the Ruins had to be pushed back, the Slurper was made able to spawn in regular caves until the Stuff of Nightmares update, which made the Slurper a ruins-only creature, as intended.
- According to Maxwell, the over-use of fuel from Nightmare Lights led to the downfall of the civilization that once lived in the Ruins.
- Without mineral eating mobs like Rock Lobsters and Slurtles, the minerals generated by earthquakes will amass over time. This can cause lag, if they aren't removed.
- When dying in the Caves or Ruins, exiting the game right at the moment of death will cause the Cave or Ruins world to reset. Upon reloading, the player will spawn in a new Cave or Ruins world and lose all items.
Ruins as depicted in the poster for the The Stuff of Nightmares update.